Joining Forces To Protect Constituents In South Derbyshire

Electricity causes half of all fires in England’s homes and recent tragic events at Grenfell Tower have made everyone much more aware of the risks from electrical products – items we use unthinkingly, every day. That’s why Heather Wheeler MP has joined forces with leading safety charity, Electrical Safety First, to help protect constituents in their home.

“White goods, such as dishwashers, tumble dryers, and fridge freezers, are one of the leading causes of electrical fires in England’s homes”, explains Heather Wheeler. Last year, they caused almost 2,000 fires - the equivalent of over five fires per day. I attended Electrical Safety First’s recent reception to find out more about how I can help my constituents stay electrically safe at home – especially now, as winter has arrived and older people in particular, are at greater risk of an electrical accident. I would like to encourage people to sign up and support this campaign by visiting

Heather Wheeler continues: “Electrical equipment can be an unnoticed fire hazard in the home. With the recent cold weather, many sockets could be overloaded with heaters and electric blankets. Every individual can take steps to help keep themselves safe by checking that the electrical equipment they use is in good working order and is operated properly. You should also make sure you have a working smoke alarm on each level of your home.”

“I’m also urging people to celebrate safely this Christmas – when putting up your decorations, check fairy lights aren’t damaged and look for loose or worn wires, check the fuse in the plug is the right size and replace any bulbs that blow. Don’t let the bulbs touch anything that can burn easily, like paper or fabrics and other Christmas decoration – and remember to switch the lights off when you go to bed or leave the house.”

Electrical Safety First has developed a range of resources to help check the safety of a property. This includes a mobile phone app, which provides a quick visual check of the electrics in a home, plus a link to find a registered electrician in your area.

Join the conversation on Twitter: #saferhomes